Coaches are to conduct themselves in a manner that "Honors the Game" and demonstrates respect to other players, coaches, officials, parents, spectators and fans. In becoming a member of the lacrosse community an individual assumes certain obligations and responsibilities to the game of lacrosse and its participants.
The essential elements in this "Code of Conduct" are HONESTY and INTEGRITY. Those who conduct themselves in a manner that reflects these elements will bring credit to the sport of lacrosse, themselves, their team and their organization.
The following essential elements of the "Code of Conduct" must be followed:
- Sportsmanship and teaching the concepts of fair play are essential to the game and must be taught at all levels during practices and games, and placed above winning.
- The safety and welfare of the players are of primary importance.
- Coaches should always demonstrate positive behaviors and reinforce them to players, parents, officials and spectators alike. Avoid derogatory comments. Players should be specifically encouraged and positively reinforced by coaches to demonstrate respect for teammates, opponents, officials and spectators.
- Grievances or misunderstandings between coaches, officials, parents or any other parties involved with the sport should be communicated through the proper channels and procedures, never on or about the field of play in view of spectators or participants. If there is a dispute that a coach cannot handle on his or her own, please contact the WULAX Coaching Board Director in writing.
- Coaches should provide a basic knowledge of the rules to both players and spectators within his/ her program. Attempts to manipulate rules in an effort to take unfair advantage of an opponent is considered unacceptable conduct.
- Adherence to all club/league rules and policies, especially those regarding eligibility and team formation and member association rules and policies that are mandatory and should never be violated. It is the responsibility of each coach to know and understand these rules.
- By signing this document I certify that I understand the terms of the Coaches Code of Conduct, and will agree to comply with these policies. A violation of this code may result in possible disciplinary action ranging from private admonishment up through and including suspension.
By signing this document I certify that I understand the terms of the Coaches Code of Conduct, and will agree to comply with these policies.